Lincoln Makes Final Four

Johnie J. Logue
Enterprise Staff
Two years ago, the Lincoln Cardinals tasted defeat at the hands of Monroe City in the final four. On Saturday, in Lincoln, the Cardinals earned the right to try again after defeating Adrian 38-14.
Make no mistake, regardless of the final score, it wasn’t easy. Lincoln would stall on their first drive after Tanner Bays would run the kickoff to the 42. QB Jackson Beaman would be stopped on two short gains before LB James Keating would blitz and sack Beaman after a short scramble.
The Blackhawks would drive down the field to the 15 on a big run that saw Landon Bond make a TD saving tackle. After confusing the Cardinals with the triple option and wishbone formation, the Cardinals would hold the Blackhawks as they tried a field goal attempt that was blocked.
Beaman would then put together a drive that overcame a false start penalty as he hit Joe Bittner as he scramble out the pocket for a nice gain. Then Bond would catch another nice pass from Beaman and slipped a tackle to run the ball to the 40. Beaman would then read the blitz and ramble to the 20.
Beaman and a revived Gage Kahler would get to the one before Beaman dived in for the TD. ‘Money in the Bank’ Devon Parrott would kick the PAT against a mild wind on an otherwise nice day for the 7-0 lead at the 1:15 mark.
However, Blackhawk QB Hunter Steen would rip down the left sideline for 40 yards and it was 7-7 as the quarter would end.
With a long pass to Bo Kroenke, Lincoln would show what they had been missing in earlier weeks as a healthy Kahler would ramble in from some forty yards for the TD. Parrott made it 14-7 at the 10:04 mark. Head Coach Kevin LaFavor would hug his running back and say, "Welcome back kid."
Parrott would hit a field goal at the 1:25 mark and it was 17-7.
However, Beaman wasn’t done as he hit Bo Kroenke, who would break down field all alone with nine seconds left for  some 50 yards for the TD. You know who made the extra point and it 24-7 at half. Nathan Jobe was all over the field in the first half making tackles and causing havoc.
The second half  saw Owen Tallman carry the ball three times in a row before Steen broke tackles for a 40 yard TD. It was now 24-14 at the 10:00 tick of the clock.
Kehler would race 32 yards to the house at the 4:29 mark and Parrott made it 31-14.
In the fourth, after a horse collar tackle, Kahler would score again with 2:40 to go and Parrott ripped it for the final 38-14 score.
Lincoln will travel on the road this Saturday to play Mid-Buchanan. Lincoln will be asked to slay a Dragon team (9-4) that avenged an overtime loss to Penny 29-27 with a 41-21 victory last Saturday in their quarter final matchup. Their other losses have come at the hands of powerhouses, Lawson 25-7, Lathrop 48-7 and East Buchanan 34-28 in O.T. Make no mistake, this will be Lincoln’s biggest test of the year.
However, Lincoln has come together at the right time. Beaman and Kahler are both healthy and Parrott is at the top of his kicking game. If it is close at the end, Parrott could be called upon to kick a game winning field goal. You can watch the game on BCE TV.